Tweet this post!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

AFO Woes

Kyle's feet are very sensitive.  He's had ankle contractures since forever (very common in SMA patients), but when he had tendon release surgery last summer they became even more sensitive for some reason (or he became more anxious/tearful about us handling his feet).  Therefore I just give him sponge baths and his AFO's (leg braces) only come off about once a month, for short periods of time.  The taking off/putting on is just too traumatic, for all of us.

I last put his AFO's on a short ten days ago and when I took them off earlier this week he had significant pressure sores.  Ulcers.  Broken skin, blisters, oozing.  I'm amazed--he never complained about pain at all.

And I'm completely shocked and disheartened.  How does something that is supposed to help him hurt him so badly?  I betadined the hell out of sores like our nurse friend and the wound clinic suggested.  The blisters have improved, but I still am not sure that we won't have to take him to a dermatologist, or the wound clinic.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?  I have been beside myself, kind of full with guilt.  Blah.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Poor little buddy! How's he feeling now?

    ReplyDelete