Tweet this post!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Checking In

There are a variety of SMA kiddos sick in the hospital these days, but locally, my primary concern is sweet Alexa. She's just a few months younger than the twins, and dx'd with SMA type 1. She is such a sweetie--and her whole family is Good People--and I want her to get well and get home fast. I don't like the idea of her in the PICU and I adore her parents, Mike & Jaci, to death. It's so hard on the parents when our children are hospitalized. But Alexa has tested positive for HMV, MRSA, and staph, and was intubated Tuesday.

New to my blog? Don't know what Spinal Muscular Atrophy is? Here's my take on it. And Jessica Gustafson's take on it. And ExtraordinaryMommy's take on it. And, from a clinical perspective, here's FSMA's take on it. SMA is one of the 43 recognized muscular dystrophies. If you donate to the Jerry Lewis telethon or buy an MDA shamrock at your grocery store, then you support our cause, too. In short, SMA is a genetic, terminal degenerative muscular disease which affects children. I could go on to explain further, but there's not much else to say. It is the suckiest suck to have ever sucked--so yeah, okay, there's that.

So, Pepsi is hosting a contest called the Pepsi Refresh Project. There are different tiers of awards, but--lookie here!--the highest award tier includes an SMA charitable organization! So, yet again, I beg you to register at refresheverything.com and vote for Stop SMA. Their winnings will be forwarded to SMA research, and you can vote daily for this organization all throughout March. I am voting everyday, so if it will help, I can email you, or tweet or Facebook you to remind you to do the same everyday! Just let me know, and I can add you to my list.

And I can't let this slip past everyone--Victoria Strong has been named one of the Real Strong Women for March by sorority Alphi Chi Omega. Also, Victoria's birthday was Monday--feliz cumpleanos a ti, Victoria! xoxo

p.s. Do you Twitter? If so, find me there, would you? I follow 600+ people on Twitter, and at least half of them are useless. I'd love to get in touch with useful folks. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I didn't know Alexa was sick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope i'm not one of the useless ones on Twitter that you're following. lol

    I'm not one for praying but when it comes to children, what can I say, there is a soft spot in my heart for them. Prayers and thoughts out to Alexa and her family.

    Like the new blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete