Tweet this post!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Hexbug. Two thumbs up.

I've mentioned that I spent some time at BlogHer '11.  I spent major quality time at the Big Toy Boo Sweet Suite Event (a kid's toy expo).  One of the toys they sent home in my swag bag was a bizarre--and robotic, intimidating, yucky--looking-item called a HEXBUG.  I don't know what that really means, because the thing is not in the shape of a hexagon.  Maybe the toy is cursed with a hex?  But even if it is? It's worth it because my kids love it.

To my friends who have children with limited fine motor skills:  this is a toy which is best kept somewhat confined (such as within a high chair tray--see video below).  The "bug" seems to run on a watch battery, but uses a simple, small track.  You could do away with the track if your table/surface doesn't accommodate it, but the bug should be run on a level surface with some sort of perimeter barrier.  Because of this, the child should be able to sit up and have some neck control.

That said, once the child sets the "bug" into the track, it's simply a matter of watching and enjoying, and occasionally picking up the bug to reposition it.  There is no further physical engagement with the toy, cognitively speaking, but the kids love watching it, picking it up, feeling the crazy vibrations on the legs, and watching it "sniff" it's way out of the gates.  Their squeals of glee over this toy have been priceless.

For the price ($12.99), it's a great choice for lots of kiddos, including those who need something new but have limited hand dexterity/strength.  I shot a quick video to demonstrate this thing--must admit, I think it's kind of cool.



[I don't ever blog about a product to get paid for it.  (There are many who do, and they're good at it.  I wouldn't be good at it.)  I blog about products which genuinely help my family--typically, if I blog about a product, it's a toy that my special needs twins either love or hate, and I share our experiences in order to help other readers with similarly-abled kids understand if the toy might be a good fit for them.  Also?  The manufacturer has no idea that I own the toy or am writing about it.  If they should choose on their own accord to send one of my kids to college based on my positive review of their product, then so be it.  But I think that critical reviews are important, too.  We parents of special-needs kids waste too much money as it is on things we think will be perfect for our specific kiddos but aren't.

My point is that nobody except you knows that I am yay'ing or nay'ing a product.  Ever.]

2 comments:

  1. OH my boys got those for Christmas and they LOVE them! They have races and laugh their butts off when they darn bug can't get through the gate on the first try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fun. Making our kids happy is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete